Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What's in a name

Don't you think that names are so interesting?

My dad knew a guy whose name was Harry Pitts. I knew a girl who married a Skank (but what about a Harry Skank?). Burgoyne isn't too wierd - although now telemarketers can't pronouce either my first or last name.

On the day I got married my father-in-law took the time to tell me how important the Burgoyne name is and what a heritage I have to live up to.

Have you ever known someone who lived up to their name perfectly?

Mike and I gained a niece this weekend. Her parents were kind enough to give her the normal name of Isabelle. I wondered if she was the only Isabelle Burgoyne out there, and if not what did history have to reveal about her? So I did what any other person would do and I googled her. It was so much fun that I googled the names of my other neices and nephew too. Here's what I found:

Madelynne Burgoyne - No one else in history seems to have that name. (I knew she was one of a kind!)
Elijah Bell - if history repeats he will most likely be an anesthesiologist or a baptist pastor. (his fascination with things that hurt and kill turn to ways of healing and salvation?)
Hannah Burgoyne - born in Boston in 1713 and now has a facebook page (that I can access if I create an account, it's free and easy!).
Leah Bell - Studied art in Italy for years and now has her own studio on the east coast. (That might make her my favorite now).
Isabelle Burgoyne - only daughter of the revolutionary war general, scorned Adam O'Brian during their love affair. (Watch out for those Irish men!)

I know you're all going to go google your own names now, let me know what kind of heritage you have to follow! (There is no other Shaina Burgoyne, in case you were wondering. Guess I'll have to write history myself).

6 comments:

Becca Bell said...

You'd better do something extra cool, so when the next Shaina Burgoyne googles her name she sees something more than "had a really great hair day on Memorial Day of 2008".

Shaina said...

I can think of things a lot worse than fabulous hair to be remembered for.

Joel said...

I'm a Jewish football player AND a drummer in a Christian Band. Figure that one out!

Also, we went to a homecoming talk for Elder Hooker last week. There were a lot of Hookers in the congregation, actually. My sister-in-law kept telling me how much she liked the Hookers.

Sarah Burgoyne said...

So fun! What are the chances of us naming our third daughter the same name as the only daughter of the great General Burgoyne. The day Will and I were sealed we must have been asked three times if we were related to him :)I think our sealer was old enough to have witnessed the Revolutionary War :)

Apparently the only other Sarah Burgoyne of note is a high school track star.

Michael said...

My namesake is a famous voice actor who has done things ranging from Medivh in Warcraft 3 (for all you video gamers), Quackerjack from Darkwing Duck, as well as Transformers, GI Joe, and Scooby Doo cartoons. Also a celebrity artist, environmental sociologist, and my personal favorite--professional bagpiper. ;)

Corey Perrine said...

Not to jump on the innuendo train but I have known a Woody Dick and BJ Cox in my lifetime. The first was a columnist for my HS newspaper the other in my ward at BYU. I'm surprised they admitted him to the Y or at least didn't ask him to choose another name or something. Kinda like when they ask players to cover up tattoos etc.