Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I've been working on the railroad

Our weekend adventure was so great, it deserved a soundtrack! So feel free to hum aloud as you read! (You might have to be a little creative with the rhythym but I'm sure you can figure it out, you're smart enough).

I've been living in Utah, all my live long day.
But I've not seen all the landmarks that make this place so great.
So I took a little venture
with my husband dear
So we took a little venture
to see the history here!

Promontory Point! Promontory Point!
With the Golden Spi-i-ike!
Promontory Point! Promontory Point!
with the Golden Spike!

Someone's in the picture of history, someone's in the picture I kno-o-ow.
Someone's in the picture of history, it's great grandpa Grenville!
He's singing "fee-fi-fiddly-high-oh, tickets-fees-I'm-in-the-dough-oh! Fee-fi-fiddly-high-oh!" That's grandpa Grenville!

(*applause*)
Thank You.
We really did have a great time watching the re-enactment of the spike, better than we expected. And it was cool to learn that my great grandpa was part of the ceremony! He's the one circled in the photo. The national parks brochure says he was the Cheif Engineer for the Union Pacific. Sounds pretty important to me.

"Shaina, I think I hear the train coming!"

Yeah, it's a real steam locomotive and yeah, we really got to see it speeding down the tracks, and yeah, it was cool.

2 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Fun! You know we waited until the week we were moving to Illinois before we finally got around to climbing the Y :)

Becca Bell said...

One of my worldly goals in life is to never hike the Y. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but I do. I'll probably not succeed in that goal once Eli finds out that you can hike to it and climb on it. He gets a kick out of seeing it and he thinks it follows us.