Friday, June 27, 2008

Hitchcock

I've seen the movie "The Birds" twice. While I appreciate Hitchcock's contribution to cinematic history and have enjoyed some of his other films, this one really didn't do it for me. It might have been the people I watched it with or something, I don't know. But I think if I were to see it again now, I would have a much better appreciation for it. Why? Because now I've lived it.

For the past 2 weeks every day after work, and sometimes at lunch too, when I have walked out of the parking garage at my office this little blackbird has swooped down towards me and continued to fly near me until I reach my car. Each day he has gotten a little closer.

Two days ago I was on guard, looking for him as I careful walked out. At first I didn't see him. Then I turned my head to see his sharp beak coming at full speed straight for my face. I turned and ducked quick enough to feel his wings brush against my head.



Like the silly characters in the movie, I tried to think that there was nothing to it. I was overreacting and anyway it was just one bird that was acting crazy.

Then yesterday, as I cautiously made my way to my car, once again the blackbird dived dangerously close to my head. As he passed me on the right, suddenly a second one passed just as close on the left.

They're grouping together now. This can't be good.

8 comments:

The Nielsen's said...

Are you kidding me? That's hysterical!! Watch out and next time, bring a B-B gun!!!

Krista said...

It could be worse. You could be seeing similarities to "Psycho" instead!

Shaina said...

Good point Krista. I trust Mike, but maybe I'll start locking the door when I shower, just to be safe.

Josh said...

Sounds like it's time for Aunt Jemima to makes some blackbird pie....

The Hubler Fam! said...

That's freaky. Ask your co-workers if they've had similar attacks. Maybe the bird is nesting some eggs nearby and extremely territorial. If no one else is being attacked while walking the same path....then sorry hon, it must be personal. The bird is JEALOUS of your beauty.
Bring Mace.

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I think I would have started to scream. Living in Maine I was dive bombed by sea gulls several times and therefore I have a fear of large flying things. I've also been pooped on 3 times. My siblings would through bread at me at the beach just to watch me freak out.

Bethany said...

Crazy! Birds scared me for a few days after watching that movie and that was without them attacking me. Too funny!

Joel said...

Shaina,

I have a confession to make - it's my fault.

I speak to animals (especially birds and butterfly larvae) and they do my bidding.

This is my revenge for you not inviting me to your pool.

The buzz-bomb-diving will continue until my feet are in chlorinated water.