Wednesday, March 12, 2008

C is for Chocolate

Hi. My name is Shaina Burgoyne and I'm a chocoholic.
I enjoy chocolate in almost all forms and textures. I like white chocolate, dark chocolate and milk chocolate. I like swiss, italian or even good ol' Hersheys. I've had chocolate with crushed red peppers in it and liked that too. Chocolat is one of my favorite movies (all about chocolate and Johnny Depp!). But of all the varities of chocolate out there, I am especially fond of the chocolate that I can drink, specifically Hot Chocolate and Chocolate Milk. This time of year is always a little sad for me, as the temperatures get warmer and the sun gets brighter, and I know that it's time to put my Hot Chocolate Mug back on the shelf until next October.
To mark this turn of the seasons, I found a story that teaches us the true meaning of hot chocolate.

A group of graduates, well established in their careers, decided to go visit their old university professor, now retired. During their visit, the conversation turned to complaints about stress in their work and lives. Offering his guests hot chocolate, the professor went into the kitchen and returned with a large pot of hot chocolate and an assortment of cups - porcelain, glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite - telling them to help themselves to the hot chocolate.

When they all had a cup of hot chocolate in hand, the professor said: "Notice that all the nice looking, expensive cups were taken, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress. The cup that you're drinking from adds nothing to the quality of the hot chocolate. In most cases it is just more expensive and in some cases even hides what we drink. What all of you really wanted was hot chocolate, not the cup; but you consciously went for the best cups... And then you began eyeing each other's cups.

Now consider this: Life is the hot chocolate; your job, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain life. The cup you have does not define, nor change the quality of life you have. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the hot chocolate God has provided us. God makes the hot chocolate, man chooses the cups. The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything that they have. Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. And enjoy your hot chocolate.

8 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

My name is Sarah and I am also a chocoholic :) I must admit as much as I love chocolate I stay away from chocolate with crushed red pepper. I'm curious did you like the hot chocolate in Italy? I had some in Rome that was so nasty, thick and bitter, horrible stuff. I'll stick with my Swiss Miss.

Mike said...

So if when I want hot chocolate and I prefer the Canada mug that's shaped like a bear, what does that say about me?

Sarah said...

I have to admit, the greatest downside of moving to Phoenix is the chance that I might not be able to drink hot chocolate!! I never thought I'd say this, but maybe living in Enid isn't so bad!

Joel said...

That is SUCH a nice cup in that picture!

I must have it!

The Hubler Fam! said...

Can I hear an AMEN sistah!!!
I too am an admitted chocoholic, going on 30 years now. I prefer mine milk-chocolate. However if Dark is the only thing around, it is also acceptable. I confess to buying a chocolate bar at the grocery store, and eating it BEFORE I reach home so my husband will not know that I had it and didn't share. I admit to stealing a handful of M&M's from the tupperware dish in the bathroom (designated as "potty rewards" for my 2 year old), again making sure I am not caught. My favorite holidays are Halloween, Christmas, and Easter. Simply because chocolate is part of the observance.
There is nothing, may I repeat...NOTHING and no life situation that chocolate cannot make better.

Lizzy Lou said...

mmmm... Chocolate. That just says it all. :)

Kenny and Janelle said...

ok, whoever joel is, he is funny AND chocolate just makes a good day even better!

The Hubler Fam! said...

I just have to add one more thing, in light of the Easter Chocolate season. There is one type (name brand) of chocolate that I have deemed most inferior. And that is "Palmers" chocolate. They make the el-cheap-o chocolate candies. So much cheaper than a Hershey's or Nestle product. But is it any wonder? I swear there is more WAX than Coacoa in their mix! Just throw them away, and avoid the disappointment!