Saturday, August 9, 2008

Cultural Insight

I try not to be one of those dorky missionaries who always talks about the cool places they were in and what they do, but....

Italians are very good at taking vacation. One holiday I particularly am in favor of is Ferragosto. Basically the whole country shuts down for the month of August and goes to the beach. I think the US can learn from this.

The official day of Ferragosto is August 15th. EVERYONE is gone that day. Most people show so much dedication to the purpose of the holiday (either the ascension of the Virgin Mary into heaven or the goddess Diana and her fertility depending on your research source) that they take at least the week and usually the month off of work.
Anyway, the point is, this week in August is dedicated to doing nothing but relaxing and having fun. We plan to celebrate this whole-heartedly as we leave for Colorado. (Not a beach, but whatever). We hope you do too in any way you can. Maybe we'll start a trend.



(reads: closed for holiday will reopen Friday August 24th. Maybe.)

2 comments:

Brad & Darcy Ellis said...

This brings back so many memories! I whole heartedly agree with taking a whole month off - I wish it could have been August but I took July instead! Oh well. My favorite part about this sign is the (forse) - classic Italian attitude!

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I need the whole month off! We are so excited for your visit! I think you need to take the whole week of!!