Friday, July 25, 2008

Runner 5313

I know many have been anticipating this... the results are finally in from the "big run" yesterday.

I was able to talk my brother and sister into running with me, which made it even more fun.

Here are the stats for the 5k:

Out of 219 runners...

Riley was 31st with a time of 23:48:8 (3rd out of 17 in his age group)

I was 69th with a time of 27:40:9 (7th out of 31 in my age group)

Carynn was 120th with a time of 32:20:3. (11th out of 24 in her age group)



I was just glad that being the first real race for all of us we at least crossed the finish line, but it's a little sweeter that none of us were even in the bottom 1/4 of the ranking!




Now that I am an expert in running, let me share some of the wisdom I've gained in the past 3 months:



- Good shoes really do make a world of difference.

- Waking up at 5:30 to run still sucks, even if you've been doing it for 3 months and it's the day before your race.

- Running outside is better in the morning when there aren't people around and it's not hot

- Running on a treadmill only works if there is something really good on tv to watch while you run.

- It really is the diet + exercise formula that works because even when you exercise 4 times a week, if you eat a lot of cupcakes, ice cream and cookies, your high school jeans still won't fit.

- Crossing the finish line is a great feeling, no matter what time it was at.


There are more races coming up in August and September, if anyone else wants to join in the fun!

7 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Congratulations! I'm excited for mine in October :)

Brad & Darcy Ellis said...

Hey you look great! Congrats! I am not running but I am going to do a race for the cure breast cancer thing. I don't know if you have heard of The 3 Day or not but you walk 60 miles in 3 days, 20 miles a day. I am going to do it with a neighbor in November. I am a little scared but way excited too. (I just have to raise a lot of money to participate is the hardest part. We have to raise $2,200 each!) Anyway, just wanted to say Congrats!

The Nielsen's said...

Wow. I am impressed. maybe running will become my new pastime.. Yeah right!!! But i am proud of you!

The Hubler Fam! said...

That is AWESOME! Congrats to you three. I'm so proud of you guys! But my BIG question is this....where is Mike? Couldn't the guy drag himself out at 5:30am for training? LOL!
Like I have room to talk. My fat rear is trying not to gain too much weight too fast as I enter my third trimester of pregnancy!

Kenny and Janelle said...

Good job, Shaina!!! I have yet to accomplish the 5k feat! Good for you for doing it and finishing it as well, you have inspired me:-) By the way, I tagged you on my blog!

Sarah said...

Great job!! Like you said - 5:30 is 5:30 is 5:30. No matter what way you look at it, it's still way early and it still sucks!

Joel said...

Mike didn't run. . .

Huh. . .