Friday, September 5, 2008

My Book Buffet

This summer I worked my way through a 4 course meal of literature. Some courses I liked better than others, but overall it was very satisfying. Here is what I read:

Journey to the Center of the Earth (Jules Verne): Supposed to be one of the great forerunners to Science Fiction. I liked the idea, but couldn't get through all the scientific jargon to make it even to the half way point. It was like eating bran cereal; too much fiber and not enough taste to make it worth my time.

The Twilight Series (Stephanie Meyers): Yep, I gave in to peer pressure and read all 4 of them. It was a great way to pass the 30+ hours I spent in the car during 2 road trips. They weren't brilliant works of literature, but I was entertained. It was like eating grocery store birthday cake - good for the moment, no real nutritional value, and sometimes you can't take in too much in one sitting without getting sick, but you know that if it's around you're going to want a piece. And it's much better when it's shared with others.

Oliver Twist (Charles Dickens): Unfortunately, I approached this one with a bias, I already love Dickens. This was good, but not great. Really good characters, intriguing moral themes and brilliant social satire, but way wordy and a little far fetched. It's like how the casseroles I cook turn out: I worry so much about getting it right that I over do it and it ends up just tasting weird.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Vol 2 (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle): This was by far my favorite. It was well written, entertaining, explored different aspects of human nature, and I felt smarter after reading it (especially when I could start putting the solution together before Holmes!) And each story was short but fulfilling so I could either nibble a little or chow down as I wanted. It was perfectly flavored and in perfect proportions. It won't be long before I go back for a second helping.

4 comments:

Becca Bell said...

My stomach is full of Twilight birthday cake. Mike chowed down on Sherlock Holmes.

Julie and Eric said...

Twilight, I just love Edward *sigh*! Eric said once that if Edward was alive that I would probably marry him. I said, " I would date him, probably make out with him, but I would marry you!" :) You give excellent book reviews, and should do it professionaly!

~JeNn ChErRy~ said...

WOW, that is so impressive. I need to read more. I am so far behind. I just finished Harry Potter and the after taste is so yum I just can't even bring myself to move on yet. I loved Harry Potter so much, best story ever!!!

Unknown said...

I am impressed that you still read. Once I graduated I pretty much gave up reading all together. I hate reading :)