Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Election Time!

No, we're not talking McCain/Obama, that's for another day. This is a much more important issue.

On Saturday Mike and I went to the RSL vs Chivas game. It was great. The week before we went to the BYU vs UCLA game. Also great. This got me thinking, if I had to choose a favorite between Football and Futbol, which would I pick?

I worked out some possible arguments for both sides.
(F = Football, S = Soccer)

1. Game Day
F: With the pregame show, the tailgate party, 4 hours for the game itself and then the post game analysis, the excitement lasts literally all day long.
S: You go, you cheer, you have fun, you get on with the rest of your life.

2. The Game
F: Complicated rules with even more complicated plays displays a sense of intelligence just to understand the action. Yet it's still just big guys crashing into each other at full speed while playing keep away.
S: Simple rules (ball in net, no hands), simple plays. A lot of aggression but an element of finesse to make it happen.

3. The Players and their drama
F: Talking tough, playing rough, and showing their need for attention in end zone celebrations and sideline fights. But the real drama is their off the field lifestyles.
S: Real fouls that are never seen (unless they draw blood) and then the fake flops and falls to remind everyone that they are still there. Who knows what they do off the field. Who cares.

4. The "Big Game"
F: The Super Bowl brings in more money and attention than anything else on tv. But is it the game or the commercials?
S: The World Cup is a world wide event. But you have to wait 4 years until the next one. Still, that's 4 years of bragging rights (Italia 2006!).

5. Cultural Impact
F: Arguably America's most popular sport right now. Knowing a few things about the teams and the players can get you small talk with just about anyone and earn you respect with the guys at the office and your father-in-law. You just can't avoid the in-state college rivalry.
S: The world's most popular sport. In the States, popular among kids, and the fastest growing in popularity among adults. But locally, only the die-hard fans will know who's playing and what's happening. Not a general conversation topic yet.

So, time to vote! Which would you pick and why?

7 comments:

Scott and Carynn said...

This is a tough call. You have devided and analyzed each side well and it i ahrd to deide if one really can out-weigh the other. But in my professional opinion I would have to say Football wins overall. I know, it may be a vary biased vote, but nontheless. Because football is so complicated and has so many rules and plays and calls, it makes it not only a sport, but a science. Plus nothing can beat tail-gate parties and the passion and emotions that really go into Game Day. It makes LIFE worthwhile, not just an evening at a game.

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I going with soccer because it's fun to play with the kids. Plus nothing beats amazing foot work :) You should see my little sister Maryam play.

Bethany said...

I'm all for soccer! I'd rather watch it and play it over football anyday. Plus, I like the laid-back attitude of most soccer players. A lot of football players think too highly of themselves.

Kevin said...

Let's not forget the fact that, even though the total playing time for football is 48 min (for college) and 90 min for soccer, football games often last up to 4 hours, while you'll be in and out of the soccer stadium in 2. The good thing about soccer is its efficiency in not wasting anyone's time (just let the clock run!), and it doesn't really matter exactly how much stoppage needs to be added - the ref will blow the final whistle after a play is over with. No buzzer beaters needed. Don't get me wrong - I love playing & watching football, but my heart's in the game of futbol.

P.S. Hey! We went to the Real vs. Chivas game too! We had some great seats on the East side in the middle - where were you?

Michael said...

While football may take a big chunk of the day, soccer ends in...ties? At least with football a clear winner is always decided. Besides, football players don't do the fruity "Ouch, you just 'hit' me! I'm going to fling myself to the ground and pretend to be injured for 45 seconds." They just beat the trash out of each other, get up, and go on to the next play. So if the previous statements don't clearly delineate who I'd vote for, I'll spell it out. T-E-N-N-I-S. And there you have it. ;)

Shaina said...

Sorry Michael, but while a college football game must have a definite winner, a NFL game can technically end in a tie. (Although I agree with soccer the fake injury productions go a bit overboard).

Becca Bell said...

Soccer, or course, but did I even need to say that? I'm sure you already knew what I was going to vote.